This is the story of how I fixed that, and made this:
Before, the entry was cute in theory, but really looked like this: the key holder was the only moderately functioning area. It held things alright. Andrew would come home and put his hats, sunglasses, and badge on it, and take up all the hooks for keys. When there were keys there, his hats would just hide them. The shelf was a piece of junk because it didn't fit the corbels, and the corbels themselves were glued back together because they were so elderly they broke while hanging them on the wall, causing it to wobble if you bumped into it. Which we did ALL THE TIME. The boot tray became a mud trap with 57 pairs of shoes in it (there are only 4 people in this house). By the end of the week, it looked like a mountain of shoes in a tray. There was no nice place handy to put my purse or diaper bag, or guests to leave their stuff by the door, so we aimed for the floor. Worked nicely. A mountain of crap!